My Journey from Delhi to Kullu: A Personal Experience

Traveling from Delhi to Kullu felt like stepping into a whole new world. The fast-paced, bustling energy of Delhi gradually gave way to the calm and breathtaking scenery of Himachal Pradesh. It wasn't just about the distance covered; it was about the experience of watching the city life fade away and the mountains slowly taking over.

Planning My Trip

When I decided to take this trip, I knew I wanted to enjoy every moment. I'm not one to rush through a journey just to check off destinations from a list. I wanted to breathe in the fresh mountain air, take in the changing scenery, and enjoy the journey as much as reaching Kullu itself.

I planned my trip for early October, which seemed like the perfect time. The monsoon had just ended, leaving behind lush green hills and a crisp, clear atmosphere. October also meant fewer crowds, so I could enjoy the stunning mountain views in peace.

Choosing the Best Way to Travel

There are several ways to get from Delhi to Kullu—by plane, bus, car, or even a part-train journey. I chose to go by road because I wanted the freedom to travel at my own pace. There’s something incredibly liberating about driving through the winding roads of Himachal Pradesh, with the windows down and the cool mountain breeze on your face.

I set out early in the morning to avoid Delhi’s infamous traffic. My car was packed with snacks, a playlist full of travel tunes, and the excitement of the adventure ahead. The drive from Delhi to Kullu is about 500 kilometers and usually takes around 12 to 14 hours, depending on traffic and how many stops you make along the way.

The Route: Delhi to Kullu

I took the route via NH44 and NH154, one of the most scenic ways to get to Kullu. As I left behind the concrete jungle of Delhi, the road started to open up, offering glimpses of the countryside. The first part of the journey was smooth, with wide roads and easy driving. I made a quick stop at Murthal, famous for its dhabas. I couldn’t resist indulging in some hot parathas with butter—a perfect North Indian breakfast!

After passing through Chandigarh, the landscape started to change. The roads got narrower, the air cooler, and the Shivalik range came into view. The journey began to feel more like an adventure. The drive from Chandigarh to Kullu is a mix of smooth highways and winding mountain roads. It was a bit more challenging, but also much more rewarding.

The Beauty Along the Way

One of the highlights of this trip was the stunning scenery along the way. The Beas River accompanied me for much of the journey, its gushing waters providing a calming soundtrack. The road twisted and turned alongside the river, with pine forests and terraced fields on the other side. I made several stops to take pictures, but honestly, no camera could capture the majesty of those mountains.

Passing through small towns and villages like Mandi and Sundernagar added to the charm of the journey. Each place had its own unique character, with local markets, traditional Himachali homes, and friendly locals who greeted me with warm smiles. I even stopped at a roadside stall for a cup of tea—there's something incredibly refreshing about sipping chai while surrounded by mountains.

Finally Reaching Kullu

After hours of driving, I finally reached Kullu. The first thing that struck me was the fresh, cool air. It was such a relief after the noise and pollution of Delhi. Kullu, often overshadowed by its more famous neighbor Manali, has its own charm. It’s a great starting point for treks, rafting, and exploring the beautiful Parvati Valley.

I checked into a cozy homestay right in the heart of Kullu. The warmth and hospitality of the hosts made me feel at home immediately. After freshening up, I took a walk around the town. Kullu has a relaxed vibe, with its narrow lanes, colorful markets, and the constant backdrop of towering mountains. The Beas River flows through the town, adding to its peaceful atmosphere.

Exploring Kullu and Beyond

During my stay, I visited some of Kullu’s famous spots. The Raghunath Temple, dedicated to Lord Rama, is one of the oldest and most important temples in the region. I also made my way to the Bijli Mahadev Temple, perched on a hilltop with stunning views of the valley. The climb to the temple was steep, but the view from the top was worth every step.

I took a day trip to Manikaran, a small town famous for its hot springs and the Manikaran Sahib Gurudwara. The drive through the lush Parvati Valley was another highlight of my trip. The hot springs were a unique experience, and the langar (community kitchen) at the Gurudwara served one of the most delicious meals I’ve had in a long time.

The Journey Back

Like all good things, my trip to Kullu had to come to an end. The return journey was bittersweet—I was leaving behind the peace and beauty of the mountains, but I was also taking home a treasure trove of memories. The drive back to Delhi felt quicker, perhaps because my mind was replaying all the beautiful moments from the trip.

As I got closer to Delhi, the traffic and noise of the city started to return, but I felt more relaxed, more at peace. The mountains have a way of calming your soul, and I felt like I was bringing a piece of that calmness back with me.

Final Thoughts

Traveling from Delhi to Kullu was more than just a trip; it was a chance to reconnect with nature, enjoy simple pleasures, and rediscover myself. If you love nature, seek adventure, or just want to escape the hustle and bustle of city life, I highly recommend this journey. And if you have the time, think about adding Dalhousie to your travel plans. It’s another beautiful spot in Himachal Pradesh, known for its old-world charm and peaceful scenery. Just remember to take it easy, breathe in the fresh air, and savor every moment of your trip.

Author bio → Travel Dharamshala
Connect with us on our social media platforms: Facebook, and LinkedIn! Dive into more adventures with "Travel Dharamshala: India's Highlight on Adventure Avenue
."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Unique Honeymoon Destinations in India

Himachal Pradesh Hill Stations

"Palampur: Where Nature's Beauty Meets Tranquility"